Retail sales training and coaching, go together like a horse and carriage.
There is an old adage that says:
This is particularly important in developing a successful retail team, and the reason, odd as it may seem, is simple… high-traffic interaction with people!
You see, in a retail environment sales people, unless managed, drop into one of three modes:
- Parrot-like patter that no-one appreciates… the customers sense it, and the sales staff get bored with it.
- Over familiarity with the product… the sales people become too technically involved and fail to ‘sell’ the product.
- Distracted… the sales person will talk about everything except the product they are selling. Even to the point of sharing their personal woes!
The answer is coaching. Regular focus on what it is that will sell the product.
So. How about trying some of the following?:
- Create a regular tweet program just to the staff through a dedicated Twitter list (here’s how: Twitter support page)
- Encourage each team member, in a rota, to tweet a sales-point about a product.
- Create a WhatsApp group to do the same as Twitter but in a more modern way (here’s how: WhatsApp support page)
- This can include fun images
- Hold a monthly ‘pub quiz’ about a specific section of products
- This can be done in the shop after-hours, or even at the pub!
- Post a product-specific sales point in the tea-room, and change it weekly
- Encourage staff to speak to each-other to share ideas… maybe pair them up
Whatever you do, make it regular and make it fun.
If you would like some help on how to improve the training retention rate for your staff just drop-us a line via our contact form… we have more ideas for retail sales training and coaching than you can imagine!